Monday, February 22, 2010

Long day...

As I am sitting here waiting for the cold medicine to kick in I thought I would catch everyone up on the happenings over the past week.
Austin - what a great city! I had an amazing time, mostly beautiful weather, lots of fun with my sister, manicures, Mexican martinis and some shopping - courtesy of mom! I did manage to keep up with my training and pounded out 4.2 miles on a treadmill. Not fun, but I did it. I have to say that while I did miss Baby H and my hubby A LOT, it was nice to have a restful and diaper free few days. Sweet Boo was an amazing host. And I loved everything that we did, but I think one of my more favorite things was drinking coffee curled up on the couch under the blanket and watching The Today Show!

Ok I know these pictures look like all we did was booze it up, but I think those were the only two drinks we had. :) But quintessential Austin beverages, the Mexican martini and a beer michelada style.

So then I was home for not all of three days and drove to Memphis for the Downline Summit for Women.
I went with my wonderful Mom-in-law, um aunt-in-law (is that a real term?) and about 1500 other women. Huge conference led by some really amazing, challenging, and Godly women. Left me with a lot to think about. I will be the first to admit that going into these things I am always so skeptical, and even doubtful. But I went, and I am glad I did. It is going to take me at least a month to unpack everything that I heard, learned and read while I was there. But let me just say - good job Downline on making a conference that was not cheesy or overly warm and fuzzy. Thanks for feeding our intellect and not playing (or preying) upon our emotions.
A few highlights were:
- listening to Miranda Dodson, from you guessed it...Austin, such a unique sound  
- hearing about the three waves of Feminism and how we (women) got to where we are now
- Kay Arthur sprawled out on a table, hysterical
These and so many other things. I am sure that it will take me a while to unpack and sort through everything that I heard, learned and read. I am sure some of it will show up on here so just bear with me. If it is possible I think I came back a little more in love with my husband, our baby and my family.

Ugh, it seems the medicine is keeping me up instead of making me sleepy. Either that or the two naps I took today. I honestly have not felt this bad in a while. I think I am just going to go in there and lie down, pretending to sleep and see if I can trick my body into actually going there. Sleepytime tea I am rather dissapointed in your performance, or lack of, I should say.

No comments:

Post a Comment